widlokm
New user

Extend wifi range - again

#1 Post by widlokm » 03 May 2024, 10:41

Hello,
I've seen a few topics about extending wifi range already posted:
viewtopic.php?t=8100
https://letscontrolit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5288,
however in the end I am not sure what is the current status of this. Could You please tell me if something changed since those discussions?

Full story: I am moving to a new house and there is no way that single AP will cover whole area. I also would like to use EasyESP (that is a great project by the way) to get sensor data from rooms and control heater fans. I really would like to avoid line-plug extenders, and keep everything on my own devices - I want to design something like "motherboard" for ESP with power converter (24->3.3V), fan control circuits (PWM), fan speed check (frequency), temperature sensors, etc.
As I understand now there is no way to route data between esps without AP, so my idea is to design "motherboard" in the way that it will have connectors for 2 ESP units. Then in critical places I will use 2 esps one running EasyESP and one with "esp_wifi_repeater" firmware (https://github.com/martin-ger/esp_wifi_repeater) with static routing tables. I've already checked this idea on the bench and it seems to work nice, allowing 2 way communication of espeasy units and central host (PC or raspberry). What do You thing about this?
Best Regards,
Michael W.

TD-er
Core team member

Re: Extend wifi range - again

#2 Post by TD-er » 03 May 2024, 12:20

Currently such a mesh feature is not yet present in ESPEasy.
Using 2 ESP's is also quite a hassle and I think in the end a cheap 15 euro WiFi repeater which you can use for just your ESP's (or other devices, but don't expect fast speeds from such repeaters) is way easier and maybe even less expensive regarding power consumption.

widlokm
New user

#3 Post by widlokm » 03 May 2024, 20:57

Than You for clarification.
I wanted to go with 2 ESPs because I already have 24V power supply in each room (for fans) and expected to use small DC-DC converter to power ESPs - adding second one to my "motherboard" really does not change much, and esp_wifi_repeater looks really nice. Also I wanted to add "repeater ESPs" only in some places. I will need to think that over, Thanks again!

TD-er
Core team member

#4 Post by TD-er » 03 May 2024, 22:33

You can try to open up some of those really cheap WiFi repeaters and see what these use internally.
So maybe just add some 50 ct DC/DC module from Ali Express and you can power them by the available 24V DC.
Very likely they have 2 separate PCBs. One for power and one for the actual WiFi repeater.
This way it is easy (and cheap) to get them CE-approved. If the WiFi repeater is like this, then it can probably be made smaller than a module with 2 ESP boards on them.